Technology, Law, Baseball, Rock ‘n’ Roll.
In October of 2019, I attended the 70th anniversary reunion of my college singing group, The MIT Logarhythms, at MIT. During the event, fellow Log alum, bass, and MIT professor Ed Moriarty took a selfie my wife, Rebecca, and me (while we were also taking a selfie). That photo, which was visibly much higher quality than those taken by my old iPhone, caused me to reverse course. I had previously decided that the 4-inch iPhone SE would be my final phone. (I actually purchased 5 of those phones and 10 matching BookBook cases from Twelve South.) One photo changed my mind, and now I’m the proud owner of an iPhone 11 Pro (with annual upgrades and all the fixings). So yeah, I reserve the right to change my mind. And let me know if you need 5 old iPhone SEs – and 10 old BookBook cases!
On the trademark side of the house, the Madrid Protocol continues to expand, which is good news for startups. Trademarks in Brazil, Canada, and Malaysia should now cost less.
On the patent side of the house, patent law is still in a state of (what I hope is) temporary insanity (at least I hope it’s temporary) about section 101 (patent subject matter) eligibility and the definition of “abstract idea” and other silly things. It’s times like these, when I yearn for the jurisprudence of the late great Judge Giles Rich (1904-1999).
* CAFC Says PTAB Judges Are Not Constitutionally Appointed (2019-10-31)
* What Every Patent Attorney Should Teach Their Entrepreneur-Inventor Clients About the Patent Process (2019-10-26)
* Cost Of Stockdale.com Domain Name Was Relevant In Establishing Secondary Meaning Of Stockdale Trademark (2019-10-21)
* USPTO Issues Additional (101) Subject Matter Eligibility Guidance (2019-10-20)
* CAFC Rejects (Tangible) Propshafts as “Abstract Idea” Under 101 (2019-10-04)
Dissenting Judge Moore Calls Majority Analysis ‘Validity Goulash.’
* Brazil Day #1 Of The Madrid Protocol (2019-10-02)
* An Introduction to Constitutional Law: 100 Supreme Court Cases Everyone Should Know (2019-10-02)
* Malaysia Joins The Madrid Protocol (2019-09-28)
* Brazil Joins The Madrid Protocol (2019-07-03)
* Canada Day #1 Of The Madrid Protocol (2019-06-17)
The Red Sox did not win the World Series, but neither did the New York Yankees, who have not been to the Big Dance in a decade. Instead, the 9th-place underdog Washington Nationals (formerly the Montreal Expos) won, surprising me and just about everyone else in a World Series that saw the visiting team win all seven games! Never gonna see that again!
* Washington Nationals Win The World Series (2019-10-31)
* Red Sox Finalize Contract With Chaim Bloom To Be Their Next GM (2019-10-25)
* New York Yankees Spent Billions To Win World Series Only To Strike Out In Last Decade (2019-10-21)
* E-Rod Grinds Through 5 In Texas For 19th Win (2019-09-25)
* Christian Vazquez Hits First Career Grand Slam, 20Th Home Run Of 2019 (2019-09-15)
* Jackie Bradley Jr.’S Historic 478-Foot Blast At Coors Field (2019-08-27)
* Red Sox 13, Orioles 7: Sox Finish Off Sweep With Wild Comeback (2019-08-18)
* Devers Makes History With Career-High 6 Hits (2019-08-14)
* Sale Fans 13 In Two-Hitter, Red Sox Beat Angels 3-0 (2019-08-08)
* Betts Bashes Three Homers In First Three At-Bats (2019-07-27)
Mookie Betts slugged three home runs against the Yankees after Make-A-Wish fan asked for one.
* Red Sox Pound Yankees 19-3, Biggest Win Ever In Rivalry (2019-07-25)
* E-Rod’s 10-K Gem Sets Tone For Sox’s 2nd Half (2019-07-13)
* Hernandez Hits Tiebreaking HR, Red Sox Beat Jays 8-7 (2019-07-04)
* Devers Homers Twice, Drives In 6 As Red Sox Beat Blue Jays 10-6 (2019-07-02)
* Red Sox 7, Blue Jays 5: Christian Vázquez Walks It Off (2019-06-21)
* Chavis Homers, Red Sox Snap Astros’ 10-Game Win Streak (2019-05-19)
* Chris Sale strikes out 17 against Rockies (2019-05-15)
* Michael Chavis Drives In A Career-High Five Rbi’s In Red Sox 11-2 Win Over Mariners (2019-05-12)
* Red Sox Crush Mariners 14-1, Move Above .500 (2019-05-10)
* Jackie Bradley Jr. Robs Walk-Off-Homer (2019-05-09)
* Red Sox 15, White Sox 2: So That Happened (2019-05-04)
* Christian Vazquez’s Sensational Play Seals Red Sox Win Over Rays (2019-04-21)
* Mitch Moreland Hits Pinch-Hit, Three-Run Homer In Ninth To Lift Boston Over Seattle (2019-03-30)
* Reminder: Baseball Is Back And The Red Sox Own Your Soul (2019-03-30)
We continue to lose the great of rock ‘n’ roll, while we continue to experience the 50th anniversary of just about everything related to rock ‘n’ roll. My band is still available for hire!
* Ric Ocasek, Lead Singer Of The Cars, Dies Aged 75 (2019-09-16)
* Eddie Money, Two Tickets To Paradise Singer, Dies At 70 (2019-09-13)
* Mister Rogers Cuts A Record (2019-08-23)
* How To Listen To Every Minute Of The Original Woodstock Festival (2019-08-15)
* ‘Sir Duke’ Deconstructed: Stevie Wonder’s Ode to Jazz (2019-07-08)
* Dr. John: Grammy-Winning Musician Dies At 77 (2019-06-07)
A reminder that perspective matters. Which is why the globe in my music room is “upside down,” since the relationship between up/down and north/south is arbitrary, but the folks who created the first globes/maps decided to put themselves on top!
* The Earth Rotating Beneath A Stationary Milky Way (2019-08-16)